Models: 2001-’06 Tribute
In the event that all vehicle keys are lost and the vehicle key code is not available on the Vehicle Retail Data Inquiry system, replacement keys may be acquired only by obtaining the key code using this repair procedure below.
Liftgate Key Cylinder Removal
1. Remove the key cylinder from the liftgate.
2. Disassemble the key cylinder.
Note: To remove the tumbler holder from the tumbler case, insert a paper clip, small screwdriver or suitable tool and make sure all tumblers are depressed. Then, turn the tumbler holder counterclockwise to keep tension between the tumblers and the tumbler case.
3. Remove the tumbler holder from the tumbler case. Do not lose the spring and ball bearing.
4. Remove the tumblers and write down the number stamped on each one in the order shown below.
Glove Box Key Cylinder Removal
1. Remove the glove box assembly.
2. Remove the glove box lock assembly (3 screws).
3. Remove the lock assembly rear cover, spring, latch and slider.
4. Remove the blank tumbler in order to remove the key cylinder, while in the lock position.
5. While depressing the remaining tumblers, turn the key cylinder to the unlock position and remove it from the lock assembly.
6. Remove the three (3) tumblers and write down the number stamped on each one in the order shown below.
Obtaining the Key Code
Line up the liftgate key cylinder numbers and glove box key cylinder numbers in order, starting from the key entry side of the cylinders to obtain an eight-digit number.
Note: The sixth tumbler from the liftgate cylinder is the same as the first tumbler from the glove box cylinder. If all vehicle keys are lost, a minimum of two keys must be cut and then programmed for passive anti-theft system (PATS) recognition. This will allow the vehicle to start properly.