Situation: The customer may report a sporadic or continuous malfunction of the multifunction steering wheel buttons, and a message saying “Cruise control without function.” One or more of the following fault codes will be stored in the FEM (Front Electronics Module):
• 030410: “K-LIN_1 MFL: LIN slave present”;
• 030410: “Multifunction steering wheel (MFL): LIN slave present.”
Cause: Frictional corrosion or fretting on the connector line (wiring harness) between the switch cluster and steering wheel.
1. Verify switch operation and malfunction using a scan tool and looking at the live data stream.
2. Remove and replace the steering column switch cluster according to the repair instructions.
3. Install a new steering wheel connecting line.
Note: Be sure to correctly route the wiring for the steering wheel connecting line (Photos 1-4).